Monday 27 May 2013

Favourite maths teaching resources

 
Have you got a favourite go-to book for teaching maths? I've got a couple that I love, and I thought I'd share them with you..
 
The first is a book written by Prof Peter Sullivan and Pat Lilburn - Open-ended Maths Activities.
 
 
 
This is an awesome book for getting ideas for 'good' questions to use as a part of your maths lessons. It has a huge range of open-ended questions for junior, middle and upper primary and covers Number, Measurement, Geometry and Chance and Data.
 
I use the questions as a base for lots of my Maths lessons - the questions are so easy to use to differentiate for the different ability levels in my class. I would definitely call this book a  must-have!
 
 
 
I've mentioned before that my school is involved in PD with Ann Baker... I also really LOVE the Natural Maths series by Johnny and Ann Baker! The new Australian Curriculum has a big focus on thinking mathematically and Numeracy, these resources are prefect to support that.
 
I love using the Natural Maths strategies books... you can just pick them up and use them straight away. 
 
The books includes units of work focussing on different Maths concepts, and are so easy to use. They are big on problem solving (Problematised Situations) which makes them perfect for developing Numeracy. If you get a chance, you should definitely check these resources out!
 
What are your favourites? I'm always looking for new resources to explore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment