Friday 17 May 2013

Friday Game Day... with playdough!


I have a love/hate relationship with play dough.... I love using it in my classroom, but I hate making it! Maybe I've just got really weak arms, but I find it SUCH a work out to mix and cook the dough! Finally I've found a recipe that I really like, and it seems a bit easier on the arm or maybe I'm getting stronger? (I can hope right?!) Anyway, the recipe is here.. I love it because it lasts really well - we always run out of dough before it goes bad.

So, for today's game, I'm going to share a variation of the traditional Roll and Draw games, instead using play dough. The great thing about this game is it is so easy to differentiate, you can use it to practice number recognition, two digit addition, doubles, bonds to 10, times tables... the list is endless! It is also really easy to set up, you just need to get the play dough out, grab some dice and you're ready to go!


The game works best (I think) in pairs or groups of three. Each player will need some play dough and the group will need a die to share as well as a game card (or you can write the directions on the board if you'd prefer). 

Click here for a copy of the game cards that I've used. :)


I've used graphics from Ashley Hughes and Scrappin Doodles
This game card only needs a 1-6 die... it's designed to practice number recognition (1-6)

Player one then rolls the two dice and adds the number together. They then find that number on the Playing Card and make that body part for the bug. The next player has a turn and the game continues until someone has made a complete bug... they are the winner!

You can easily change the creature you are making to fit in with your current theme too... a snowman, a face, a farm animal, an alien, a fish... anything will work.

A fun and easy game, which is great to practice a range of skills, and best of all.... kids love it!

I've linked up with Kindergarten Works to share Kindergarten teaching ideas... head on over to find some fantastic teaching ideas especially for the little ones :)


KindergartenWorks

5 comments:

  1. Oh my word - love the idea of it all. We use playdough all the time in my classroom!
    -Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! Play dough is always a fav in our class too!

      Jess

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. Creative fun! Popping over from the K-Works link-up.

    My first visit. Whoooohooooo!

    Debbie Clement
    RainbowsWithinReach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!

      Thanks for stopping by :) I've enjoyed checking out all the other blogs in the link up.... It's fun to see everyone's awesome ideas!

      Jess

      Delete
  3. Love it, thanks so much, Shirley UK

    ReplyDelete