Tuesday 12 February 2013

Pancake Day



I thought I'd write a quick post to share a little Maths activity that we used for Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday). I know.... not so useful for this year, but I thought I'd share it in case you'd like to keep it for next year :) I need to get better at posting early so that I'm not sharing things after the fact :)

There are two sheets so that you can differentiate the activity for the kiddos in you class, using the same equipment. I'm a  big fan of differentiating using similar activities, as I think its easier and more effective for everyone involved! It means I'm not setting up too many different activities/using heaps of resources, but most importantly, I don't need to have rigid groups. We start our lessons with whole group work on the floor, and if we're all doing similar tasks, it's easy to swap kids between activities depending on how they go in the whole group work, or how they go when they start the activity.

Anyway, back to the activities....

The first page is for practicing writing and representing numbers to 10. Each child just needs a die/spinner (we use 0 - 9 dice) and a copy of the worksheet. They simply roll the die and then draw that number of strawberries on the pancake (or they could do banana pieces/choc chips etc... whatever topping they like) and write the numeral in the box below.



The second sheet is useful for practicing decomposing numbers. Just get your kids to roll the dice and write the number in the squiggly box. They then take that number of counters/blocks ('strawberries') and share them between the two pancakes. They can then draw how many strawberries on each side and write the numerals in the boxes below.



If you have any kids that are up to it, you could also ask them to write an equation for each.

If you'd like a copy, you can download it here

I hope you and your class are having a great week :)





3 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry for breakfast ;) What a great freebie for decomposing and using objects, pictures and numbers. Thanks!
    -Leslie @KindergartenWorks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes too Leslie....Our classroom smelt delish all morning!
    I'm so happy you like the maths activity, I've learnt so much from other people's blogs so its lovely to be able to share something useful as well :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete